Sunday, December 21, 2008

Student Teaching

I wasn't able to keep up with the blog during student teaching, so now is the time where I will flood the blog with updates.

On December 5th I finished my full time student teaching at Mountlake Terrace High School. I taught four 10th grade classes for 10 weeks. It was a roller coaster, but I loved it. I had fun getting to know the students through a writing unit where they described their styles (clothes and music) and examined how their hair can be a symbol of their identity. After that we moved on to a literature unit with Things Fall Apart. I liked the book and the unit focused on the culture. I took a survey at the end of the unit and about 50% said they liked the book and thought it should be required and about 50% didn’t like it for a variety of reasons. I learned how to be a better teacher from their input.

I learned so much through my student teaching experience:

The importance of planning and being organized
Students use the bathroom pass to use their cell phones in the hall
Creative projects and group work make learning more fun
Group work means fewer papers to grade
Partial working definition for what the heck EMO is
Sleep is overrated
Hard work is rewarding
I still want to be a teacher :)
And much more

Right now I’m looking into paid and volunteer tutor positions until it’s time to apply for fall jobs. I’m also looking into the possibility of being a substitute teacher. I’m excited and nervous about getting my first class room. I’m still working part time at the hotel for now. I have classes winter quarter, but I won't actually be on campus every day. I'm taking and online Greek Mythology class. I will officially be finished in March.

Special Thanks

To Nathan for putting up with me when I was stressed and up late grading papers
To Jen for supporting me and listening when I needed to talk about student/school issues
Family and Friends for not giving up on me and being patient during the busiest time in my life

2 comments:

The Reese's said...

congrats! that's a great accomplishment. good luck with finding a permanent teaching position. and have a merry christmas!

hmph said...

Ooooh, it's official - we're bloggin buddies. Hooray for us!!! You & Nate are cute as can be. xoxoxo